Competition Award Disbursements
Last Updated: 6/30/2021
All IU student competition awards must be processed through the SIS system. Non-IU student competition awards will now be processed on a Check Request through Buy.IU. Please follow the procedures outlined below.As soon as a department is aware that they will be hosting a competition, they should notify their FAST Representative so that any needed accounts or sub-accounts can be set up. An item type will also need to be requested from the campus if one is not already active from a prior year. Item types can take up to 6 weeks to be created and ready for use.
FOR IU STUDENT AWARD RECIPIENTS
- Once the competition has taken place, a departmental faculty or staff member must complete and submit the Request For Competition Award Disbursement (IU Students) form to Janelle Anderson in the Business Office (CG 3023). Please do not have students collect this information as it may contain sensitive information and should be kept securely until it is submitted to the Business Office.
- For any case competition or non-scholarship/fellowship award (i.e. class presentation awards) funded by an IU Foundation account, the department must also fill out the form for Supporting Documentation for Case Competition and other Non-Scholarship/Fellowship Award Disbursements and submit this with the Request for Competition Award Disbursement form. If you have any questions about what is needed, please contact Janelle Anderson in the Business Office.
FOR NON-IU STUDENT AWARD RECIPIENTS
- Once the competition has taken place, a departmental faculty or staff member must complete and submit the Request For Competition Award Disbursement (Non-IU) form to Janelle Anderson in the Business Office (CG 3023). Please do not have students collect this information.
- Purchasing REQUIRES supporting documentation when Check Requests are processed to award these students. This can be in the form of a letter or email to each student (or individual team) notifying them of their competition awards. Please be sure that the name of the competition, student names, and award amounts are included in this documentation. Do not send one mass email to all recipients; it should be at least divided by team or individual.
- W9 or W8BEN should NO LONGER be collected by departments for NON-IU students. These students will be set up in BUY.IU as a Supplier in order to receive payment. Once the “Request for Competition Award Disbursement Form” is submitted to the Business Office, the students’ names, email addresses, remit addresses, and Country of Origin will be provided to IU Purchasing. IU Purchasing will send the students an email which will provide them with instructions on how to create a supplier account in BUY.IU. Once they are set up in BUY.IU, they will be able to submit their tax documentation directly to Purchasing via their supplier portal.
- The awarding department must collect and provide Remit Addresses from the participants.These are required in
order to set up the students as suppliers in the Buy.IU system. Please provide these addresses in a separate
document or spreadsheet. If possible, please submit via IU Slashtmp to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- THE STUDENTS WILL NOT RECEIVE PAYMENT UNTIL they are set up in BUY.IU and have submitted correct tax documentation to IU Purchasing. It should be stressed to the students that they should be on the lookout for an email from IU Purchasing inviting them to join the Jaggaer network. For more info, please see the flyer.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact Janelle Anderson in the Business Office at 855-9071 or email@example.com.